Episode 8 - Tendon Injuries in Young Athletes. Professor Jill Cook
Jill Cook is a Professor in musculoskeletal health in the La Trobe Sport and Exercise medicine Research Centre at La Trobe University in Melbourne Australia. Jill’s research areas include sports medicine and tendon injury. In this episode we talk about the best ways to manage tendon injuries. Should you get imaging for tendon injuries? Should you ever inject a tendon? Does tendon management change in season vs offseason?
After completing her PhD in 2000, she has investigated tendon pathology, treatment options and risk factors for tendon injury. Jill currently supplements her research by conducting a specialist tendon practice and by lecturing and presenting workshops both in Australia and overseas.
In this episode we cover;
- What is a tendinopathy? How is this different to tendinitis?
- Do tendons need imaging, like MRI or ultrasound?
- The value of a great practitioner in managing tendon injuries
- How do the symptoms of tendinopathy develop?
- Are tendon injuries are big issues in young athletes?
- Are there particular times in a young athletes development when they are more at risk of tendon injuries?
- What are "safe" loads to avoid tendon injuries
- Monitoring loads and loading to help identify tendon injuries
- What are the implications for young athletes once they have a tendon injury?
- Do all tendon injuries get treated the same way?
- The importance of good strength and capacity to protect young athletes from tendon injury
- Young athletes tendons have a high healing potential
- What is the healing capacity of tendons once they are an issue?
- Should tendons be injected?
- How does managing a tendinopathy differ in season vs off season?
- What keeps Jill Cook awake at night - what's next in the research and what we are trying to figure out
- The young athlete should be at the centre of managing tendon injuries
Professor Jill Cook
La Trobe Sports & Exercise Medicine Research Centre
Jill Cook on Twitter
Jill Cook - Editorial board member - British Journal of Sports Medicine
Young Athlete Podcast
Young Athlete Podcast on Facebook
Young Athlete Podcast on Twitter
Young Athlete Podcast on Instagram
Bounce Physiotherapy | Bounce Exercise Clinic
Young Athlete Podcast - Scott Wilson