Episode 13 - Dr Paula Charlton. Athlete availability, health and performance
Dr Paula Charlton is the Performance Health Manager for Triathlon Australia.
Her role focuses on the development of systems and processes for ensuring availability and optimal health for elite Australian Triathletes. She has previously worked in both Olympic and Professional Sport as a Senior Sports Physiotherapist and Strength and Conditioning coach at the Australian Institute of Sport, the Melbourne Demons Football Club and Melbourne Storm Rugby Club.
She has completed a Masters in Musculoskeletal and Sports Physiotherapy as well as a Masters in Exercise Science (Strength and Conditioning). She has also completed a Clinical Doctorate of Physiotherapy and recently completed a PhD in Injury Prevention in high level team sports. Paula is also undertaking a master’s in clinical epidemiology.
Some of the key topics we cover in this episode;
- Health is a platform for performance
- Performance health is not just for athletes
- Nutrition and sleep are critical pillars for performance
- The importance of having a plan around your nutrition and sleep
- Bone health, and how quickly this can be impacted with as little as 5 days of imbalance between energy requirements and energy availability
Paula Charlton on Twitter - @PaulaC_Charlton
International Olympic Committee consensus statement on youth athletic development
Injury Prevention Programs
FIFA 11+ Kids
Netball Australia KNEE Program
Rugby Union - Activate Program
AFLW - Prep to Play
Young Athlete Podcast
Young Athlete Podcast on Facebook
Young Athlete Podcast on Twitter
Young Athlete Podcast on Instagram
Bounce Physiotherapy | Bounce Exercise Clinic
Young Athlete Podcast - Scott Wilson